Honey. Check. Lime. Check. Garlic. Check. The results; a marinade for chicken wings that results in a sweet and spicy dish with just a hint of heat from the addition of red pepper flakes.
I went to the grocery store a couple of weeks ago looking for new salad dressings to try out. Sometimes I get into a food rut, and I wanted to branch out from my usual go to salad dressing of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Unfortunately, most of the store bought dressing options included ingredients that I don’t consume on a regular basis as part of a Paleo/Primal/clean eating diet, such as soybean and canola oil, soy sauce and cane sugar. However, several of the ingredients in the salad dressings; specifically honey, sesame oil, and garlic, peaked my interest, and gave me the idea to create a recipe for chicken marinade using those ingredients as part of the marinade recipe. After a couple of tweaks to the recipe and some trial and error, the end result is this delicious recipe for Honey, Lime and Garlic Chicken Wings. Enjoy!
Honey, Lime and Garlic Chicken Wings Servings: serves 4-6
- 3 pounds of chicken wings
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (approximately 3 large cloves)
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper on the chicken wings, and toss to evenly coat.
- Place the chicken wings in a large resealable bag.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a medium size bowl, and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Pour the marinade mixture over the chicken to coat and seal the bag tightly (making sure to remove as much of the air from the bag as possible before sealing).
- Refrigerate the marinated chicken for 4-6 hours (can refrigerate overnight).
- To cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil. Place a cooling rack over the aluminum foil.
- Place the chicken wings in a single layer on the cooling rack.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven, flip over, and place back in the oven.
- Continue cooking the chicken wings until wings are cooked through, approximately 25 minutes more.